Friday, April 3, 2009

I'm Tangling Yarn Again

Sometimes being grown up means admitting you have problem areas.
Okay, Marcie take a deep breath. You can do this; they are all friends and family.

Here goes: I have an addiction.

I'm addicted to yarn.

There, I've said it. I have way too much yarn for a gal who lives in a 32',no slide Winnebago. Yet, I continue to buy it. I have even been aided and abetted in this addiction by 3 of my 4 daughters-in-law who have each bought me yarn so I could make something for them. ( Having said that, I fully expect a package in the mail soon from the last of them who hadn't thought of this before.)

I buy yarn at yarn shops and craft stores, department stores and dollar stores. I buy even more at my beloved thrift shops, rummage sales, and yard sales. I've found a wealth of high end yarns without parting with my hard earned "wealth" by patronizing these outlets.

There are two plastic totes full of yarn in the basement storage and another two under the couch. There are several bags serving as draftblockers in odd spots as well as projects on the top of the couch. But am I satisfied with that?



Uh...I spent an afternoon last week cutting and looping grocery store bags into balls of "Plarn". I just wish I'd seen this u-Tube presentation before I cut mine up. This gal makes it a lot easier than the way I did it.



Today I found another recycling (or is it upcycling?) idea that will probably terrify Jim. Check out this article about newspaper yarn called
Indruk! To be honest this one doesn't appeal to me as much as other reused fibers. Think of all that newsprint ink all over your hands as you crocheted.

Crocheting is my favorite method of tangling yarn. I began back in the 70s and yes, I made those ubiquitous orange, brown and avaca
do colored throw pillows. I even made toilet tissue covers and I sold them all too. Like everyone else I made at least a thousand granny squares. They helped buy groceries and they were part of that whole Mother Earth hand made style.

Last fall I did a craft bazaar for the first time in a few years and was pleased with the results. I was also surprised by them. I was used to adults buying my scarves, hats and neck warmers. But it was teenagers and pre-teens who scooped up most of them. The two I sold to older women turned out to be for a granddaughter and a niece. I think the fact that I used tried and true patterns with funky (can I still say funky?) new fashion yarns turned them into something brand new.


So I've been guilty of standing at the magazine stands at Barnes and Noble for the past couple of months perusing -not crochet magazines but Seventeen, YM, and all the other magazines aimed at turning little girls into fashionistas.

By the way, that isn't anything new, you know. We read teen magazines in our jr. high days too. Remember poodle skirts, pony tails, and neck scarves? I loved scarves then and I love them now.


Hopefully, I'll get my problems with my camera solved in a few days and I can show you what I've been making with my yarn stash. In the meantime, I'll try to use up some of my piles of yarn. After all, the last thing I want is for those friends and family members to stage an intervention.

Then I'll see if I can sell a few to put Jim and I through a very special school.

But that's a topic for another day.

Quote of the day:

I've always done things the hard way. I was born like a piece of tangled yarn. The job is trying to untangle it, and I'll probably go on doing it for the rest of my life.
Karen Allen

See ya down the road,
Yarntangler

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have an addiction--to fabric. When we bought our new trailer in Dec 2006, a couple that were working at the same place with us volunteered to help us move our stuff from the old one to the new one. After about two hours, when I was STILL pulling out fabric from the places I had it stashed all over the trailer, the husband looked at my husband and said, "If my wife had this much stuff i get rid of HER!"

I have downsized my stash, but I still have way too much.

Yarntangler said...

You need to get together with Spiritual Astronomer. (Piecing a Life ) She's a quilter.

Old Newsie said...

I've been looking in the three arns for various things a couple weeks now and by golly Iremember coming across a couple boxes that were labeled, maybe 25 years or so ago "YARN." Guess I better get the boxes address to Sage Words house soon as I uncover them again.

spiritualastronomer said...

I'd LOVE to have some more fabric! Had to give a room-sized stash away when I moved into the RV two years ago. Now I have room in the new house. Thanks, Yarntangler.

Anonymous said...

So I guess that means your ready for a new project? lol.. Start watching your mail. My addiction seems to be the computer.. Just the thought of being without it is like OMG..