Sunday, April 26, 2009

Out of Sight - Out of Mind



Since none of you seem to be chomping at the bit, I'll assume only two readers noticed I've been gone all week. Boy, this April 30 Day Challenge sure turned into a big April Fools prank, huh?

Fact is, I've sort of been "out of sight", at least half way. Easter Sunday, my right eye began to itch fiercely. Now, it has been irritated almost since we got to Tucson, but I had chalked that up to the allergy season which has been so vicious this year it made the TV news for weeks. Itchy, watery, red eyes; after three bottles of maximum strength anti- red juice and I was close to being "out of mind" -my own.

On Easter I went to church in a pretty, new, light blue dress and a bright red eye. Everyone politely ignored it. By Tuesday my eye hurt so much it was time to see the doctor. I use see very loosely since, by then, most of what I could "see" was the back of my eye lid and even that was blurry. The light hurt so much that I had to pull out
Jim Patch's black satin eye patch from the costume box.

(Hmm that's a good story about how my favorite storyteller developed that character -Memo for another blog).

So there I was for several days, waiting for a doctor's appointment. I could see half the world but by then the left eye was also becoming pretty red too. I only had one patch so covering up the left eye wasn't an option. Then there's the fact that since my children are now ranging in ages from 30-40, the eyes in the back of my head haven't been used much lately.

So I avoided TV, tried to read a large print book but didn't get very far, and spent the week surfing...uh...I mean researching the net with the zoom button clicked on largest.

For the past few days, I've been dribbling antibiotic eye drops into both eyes to combat a "probable" eye infection. My eyes do feel and look better but the right one still looks like I've been on a binge. This Tuesday I'll see an opthamologist who will use yet another kind of drop to dilate them. Hopefully he'll rule out glaucoma, retinopathy or any of a score of other ocular ailments I can't spell.

So as my eye clears up and I can see a bit better this week I'll get back to blogging. I did manage to find some really cool things while I was surf...uh...researching, so I'll tell you about some of those in a couple of days.

For now, if you'd like to make a really tasty soup, ( safe for my gluten free friends) may I humbly recommend you click on A Year of Crock Potting. Look for her Baked Bean Soup. So easy you could make it with one eye closed.

Quote of the day:

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."

MaoTse-Tung

See ya down the road,
Yarntangler

2 comments:

spiritualastronomer said...

Wondered where you've been. Hope the eyes are getting better. Another friend with a pirate eye patch. She, in Washington, had a detached retina. Take care - hope the lunch with Margie was fun.

Old Newsie said...

Like Chris, I wondered too wheree you were. I have two black eye patches and am only wearring one. Wantanother Infection, detached retina, glaucoma? Medince drops? Comingin, Alphgan or Azopt? If you're not reading emails you probably don't know yet Lady B fell again, same steps, hurt left knee this time, but hopefully not as bad as two years ago this week. See eail -I;ll write big Dad