Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Jumping In Feet First

I'd barely gotten up this morning when my phone rang. It was Chica. As I, still in my pjs, answered the phone I looked out the window. Turned out she was right outside calling me from her car. What had I forgotten? Did we have a date to go somewhere?

In the instant I was wondering that, she said, "Guess what? I bought you a bathing suit!"

"You bought me a bathing suit? Without me trying it on?"

"Yeah, Are you guys up? "

"Uh... yeah, come on in."

"Jim, Chica's here, get dressed."

Now you have to understand, Chica has been nagging me to begin the water aerobics classes the doctor told me to start almost two months ago. She even made arrangements for me to go as her guest to the Air Force base and said she'd take the classes with me. The fact of the matter is that I haven't worn a bathing suit in about 7 years (and 30 pounds.)

When I told her I didn't have a suit, she reminded me we are in Tucson. They sell them here year round. Then she took off to do her reserve duty in Omaha. She came back a week later.

"Did you get a suit yet?"

"No, haven't had time."

A month went by, another trip to Omaha and another return.

"Did you get a suit yet?"

"No, it wasn't in the budget this week."

She stopped asking. That was last week.

This morning, she had taken matters into her own hands. I was pretty sure I was safe because in my experience gift clothing is rarely the right size.


It fits.

Tomorrow we begin water aerobics. I'm sure my arthritic hips and knees will be grateful as soon as I get past feeling like a beached whale.

I do not plan on posting any before pictures. The picture above does not look at all like me.

I'm not a blond.


Quote of the day: (there must be something profound in this one)

I simply can't understand
Why swimsuits are in such demand
They're soggy and damp,
Bind like a clamp,
And hold about three pounds of sand!
~D.R. Benson


See ya down the road,
Yarntangler

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Yarntangler! Hope you have tons of fun, enjoy your MIL/DIL time with Chica and most of all FEEL BETTER!!

Rosemary Words said...

AWESOME! Can't wait for our swim tomorrow. Chica

spiritualastronomer said...

Good going, Chica. Yarntangler, you'll have all kinds of fun. My experience with water aerobics classes is you spend more time talking with everyone else than anything.

Unknown said...

aint you glad to have such thoughtfull and caring kids and dils in your life?

Tld