Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Best Breakfast



We don't make too much of a big deal about breakfast most of the time. A bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee makes Jim happy. Sometimes I like a big cup of hot chocolate and a hunk of warm heavy artisan bread to dunk (very continental). We go easy on the eggs only having them a couple of times a month.


One thing we do like is pancakes.



My Dad is the undisputed pancake chef in the family. No one really cares that he's 86 1/2, whenever the family gets together it's his job to make breakfast.
He used to whip up huge stacks of them when we were kids and we'd just keep eating until all the batter was gone.

My son, for
merly Jugglesorcerer, now known as the pirate magician, Commodore Salazar (why can't he ever pick a short name like the one I gave him originally?), used to be able to eat all the pancakes his grandfather could make and they had challenges when he was a youngster. Buttercup has lately limited his intake.

Unfortunately for the kids, we didn't always live near Dad so I , as chief cook and bottle washer, took over the the spatula. We had just about every kind of pancakes, flapjacks, crepes, hoe cakes and griddle cakes I ever heard about. They included, at different times, bananas, walnuts, blueberries, peaches, blackberries, apples, bacon, sausage, and peanut butter (big hit with the boys but not me).And I made them from scratch! I even had a great recipe that let me mix all the dry ingredients in gallon containers and just add the liquid at breakfast time.

I had fun with the kids when we made pancakes. I was a pretty good flipper and yes, at least one pancake stuck to the ceiling when the kids were learning that trick. We created hearts for Valentine's Day, Christmas trees, snowmen, footballs and their favorite- turtles.

Nowadays, I'm less inspired. Pancakes as Jim and I know them, usually come from a package and are more or less round. Except for one morning about a month ago when I suddenly realized Jim had never made pancakes. He'd somhow never had that pleasure, so I decided it was his turn.

"I can't do that, I don't know how!"

"Read the package directions and learn", I mumbled and went back to sleep. When I woke up almost two hours later I came out of the bedroom just in time to snap this picture.

Apparently the ability to make the BEST pancakes
is one inspired by whom you make them for!

Move over Dad, Geezerguy has inherited the spatula!

See ya down the road,
Yarntangler

2 comments:

Geezerguy said...

Now that I've inherited the mantle, I'll have to come up with something good for you,YT...maybe one shaped like a GPS?
-Geez

Word of the day...traicked: deceived; hornswoggled. eg: "He traicked me into giving him my lunch money."

spiritualastronomer said...

Your dad does do a good job with pancakes. Jim, have I got just the thing for you: coupons for free cans of Organic Batter Blaster, pancake and waffle batter in a squirt can. They're actually quite good - and easy. "traicked?" I think you might have stayed in Kansas too long or something.
Okay - I need a definition for this word, the one I need to type in for verification of this comment: "stsivit"